My Latest Tweet:

4/26/08

Eight Things I Did To Lose 18 Pounds

This worked for me a year ago. I've gained about nine of it back, which is why I started this blog. I thought I'd look back and review what has worked for me in the past.


1) Counting calories. It may be a pain, but it truly works.


2) Writing down everything I eat (and drink, and chew... did you know that Double Bubble gum is 10 calories per stick??)


3) Measuring stuff. Like, the cream in my coffee (30 calories per tbsp), the cereal in my bowl, etc.


4) Categorizing food. When I simply count calories I end up eating too many calories. However if I require that a certain amount of calories be protein, veggies, fruit, carbs, etc., I end up eating fewer. The reason for this is that protein fills you up longer than carbs, and I don't tend to reach for the protein unless I'm consciously thinking about it (I'm a carbaholic!!).


5) Not eating the leftover food on my kids' plates. Tough habit to break, but it all accumulates....


6) Walking, instead of driving. Walk walk walk (oh yeah, and then walk some more).


7) Eating small amounts frequently, and avoiding large meals.


8) Avoiding "fillers". For example I could still treat myself to bacon and eggs, but have only 2 or 3 strips of bacon, and skip the toast.



Anyway, you get the idea. It's all about food and exercise consciousness - there is no easy shortcut. When you're ready to get serious, it works!

No comments:

Blog Upp

DIGG