My Latest Tweet:

4/7/08

Cinnamon and Red Pepper

Here are two items on my "things to try" list...


1) Adding cinnamon to my diet. I've learned recently (specifically from my diabetic Mother-in-law and then from further internet research) that it can be helpful in controlling blood sugar and cholesterol levels.




"According to some studies, cinnamon may improve blood glucose and cholesterol levels in people with Type 2 diabetes. The results of a study from 2003 in Pakistan showed lower levels of fasting glucose, triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and total cholesterol after 40 days with levels continuing to drop for 20 days after that."


Interesting!! I wonder what kinds of cinnamon and chocolate combinations I can come up with ;-)


2) Then there's the red pepper theory... I'm hoping my poor stomach can handle it!!


Red pepper (Capsicum), Hot Mustard, and other hot spices
Scientists have found that people who took hot spicy foods (adding a teaspoon of red-pepper sauce and a teaspoon of mustard to meal) raised their metabolic rates by as much as 25 percent. The hot spice also stimulates thirst, so you drink more liquids that also helps in gaining less weight.

That one is definitely worth a try... if I can raise my metabolic rate by 25% then I could easily go back to eating ice cream at midnight. (Whaaaat?? Just think calcium! Bone health!!) If my bones are stronger, then I can exercise more. So there ;-)

One final note (I keep forgetting, so here goes): the images on all my blogs are courtesy of (drum roll!!) http://nancylovering.blogspot.com :-) :-)







No comments:

Blog Upp

DIGG