My Latest Tweet:

3/6/09

Book Review - Thin For Life, Anne M. Fletcher

"Thin For Life" by Anne M. Fletcher

This is the book that helped me lose 18 pounds two years ago. (What happened, you ask? Well, let's just say I stopped reading the book and gained it all back). ARGGH.

Anyway, what I love about this book is that the author interviewed people who had not just lost the weight, but who kept it off for a number of years (so in other words, she wouldn't have interviewed me because I failed to keep it off). Bottom line, the advice you are reading comes from those who have truly been successful long term.

She then analyzes the habits that these people have in common, such as exercising and keeping food logs, to provide a clear picture of what strategies consistently work.

At the end of the book she outlines some diet strategies, including the "Jump Start Diet". This worked like MAGIC for me. The reason it did, I believe, is because the calories are counted by food groups, with protein being the highest group. Previously I've counted calories and failed to keep them down because of my excessive appetite, but I was eating mostly carbs which can increase hunger. The Jump Start diet includes carbs, but has slightly more protein, and it was enough to calm my food cravings.

I discovered for myself that to lose weight I could average about 1,500 calories per day, and to maintain my weight loss, I could consistently eat about 2,500-2,700 per day. (This is plenty, btw.) What happened to make me gain it all back? I started eating more. Just a little at first, and then gradually more. I stopped paying attention, and started eating for the wrong reasons (boredom, etc.). I was averaging, I'd guess, between 3-4,500 calories per day (keep in mind that I'm quite active, which is why I'm not obese).

In other words, I stopped employing the strategies outlined in the book for keeping weight off, which include keeping track of what you eat, being aware of why you eat, and weighing yourself regularly.

What does this mean? All my hard work was "for nothing", because if I discipline myself to stay at 2,700 calories per day now, I'll simply maintain the too-heavy weight that I am (which, btw, is 140 lbs, and I'm 5'5"). Now, in order to get back to the 122 lbs that I was, I'd have to once again cut back to about 1,500 calories per day).

Anyway, I highly recommend this book for those of you who haven't read it and are looking for new inspiration, and something else to try.






Return to Fine Grind

No comments:

Blog Upp

DIGG