My Latest Tweet:

10/5/08

One Change At A Time

I've heard it takes two weeks to make or break a habit. This might explain why weight loss that takes longer is more likely to stick.

If your diet plan consists of small changes, one at a time, you're less likely to feel overwhelmed. If you can maintain each change for at least two weeks before introducing a new one, you're more likely to form new beneficial habits, rather than constantly struggling and giving up.

My example: putting sugar in my coffee.

One day it occurred to me the amount of refined sugar I was drinking in coffee, so I decided to look for an alternative. I went out of my way to research coffee brewing techniques and flavouring ideas, such as cinnamon, vanilla, and so on.

I was so caught up in experimenting with flavours that the "two weeks" flew by, and sure enough, now I drink sugarless coffee all the time. Adding sugar has become weird to me.

Now if I had tried removing sugar from my daily java while making a bunch of other changes at once, it might not have been as easy. One change at a time appears to be the key to my success.

No comments:

Blog Upp

DIGG