My Latest Tweet:

1/15/09

Wheat Germ, Flax And All Those Calories...

OUCH! Just made myself some yogurt with blueberries, wheat germ and flax, and looked at the calories involved. Per 1/4 cup, here's a comparison:

Yogurt: 50
Blueberries: 16
Wheat Germ: 120
Flax: 146

YOWZA. Who knew? The wheat germ and flax have enough nutrients to make the calories worth while, so I went ahead with my snack. Here's what I ate:

1/2 cup yogurt = 100 cal.
1/4 cup blueberries = 16 cal.
Approx. 1/2 tbsp each of wheat germ and flax, which I guessed at about 30 each, so in my calorie journal I gave it a grand total of 175.

I'm not sure why I'm surprised - nuts are really high in calories, so why not seeds and grains? It just goes to show, you learn something new every day.
____________________
Return to Blog Scene By Jeanne

No comments:

Blog Upp

DIGG